MYANMAR : Monywa – has culled thousands of poultry to try to contain an outbreak of H5N1 bird flu , west of the commercial center of Mandalay, health officials said .
The first outbreak of H5N1 in Myanmar was in the same region in 2006, about 840 kilometers northwest of Yangon, and the last outbreak was in western Rakhine State in January 2011.
The disease was brought under control and was not known to have spread to humans.
An official said more than 1,400 chickens and 10,000 quail had died in the Monywa outbreak early this month and about 1,500 chickens and more than 20,000 quail had since been culled.H5N1, which first infected humans in 1997 in Hong Kong, has since spread from Asia to Europe and Africa and has become entrenched in poultry in some countries, causing millions of poultry infections and several hundred human deaths. – Reuters, February 26, 2015.
Source @ http://www.themalaysianinsider.com/world/article/myanmar-culls-thousands-of-poultry-over-bird-flu-scare
More Regional Alerts ...
- January 19, 2015 reports two H7N9 cases, one recovers, China
- October 28, 2014 H5 Avian influenza rising in China
- March 12, 2015 Bird flu prompts flight from poultry, Myanmar
- July 27, 2017 Poultry Ban After Suspected Bird Flu Outbreak in Myanmar
- March 10, 2015 Prevent bird flu outbreak, Myanmar
- May 19, 2015 Confirms Avian Flu Outbreak in Myanmar
- July 1, 2015 Dengue kills 48 in 2015, Myanmar
- January 6, 2015 Smuggled Eggs Bring Fears of Bird Flu, Market Collapse to Myanmar
- January 5, 2016 Woman Dies From Bird Flu in Southern China
- February 2, 2015 2 more H7N9 cases ,one dies in China
- January 30, 2015 H7N9 cases in Guangdong rises to 23,China
- March 16, 2015 Bird flu posing threat to people, China