CAMBODIA : PHNOM PENH – confirmed the third case of measles so far this year after the World Health Organization (WHO) declared in March last year that the Southeast Asian country was measles-free.
The new case was detected in a one-year-old infant who was admitted to the National Pediatric Hospital in Phnom Penh last month, said a joint statement released by the Cambodian Ministry of Health and the WHO.
“The suspected case was confirmed as measles by the National Institute of Public Health and subsequently, it was confirmed by the WHO Regional Reference Laboratory in (China’s) Hong Kong on May 21, 2016,” the statement said.
“So far this year, three cases of measles were found in Cambodia after the first two cases were confirmed in January,” it said.
After receiving the laboratory results, the Ministry of Health has sent a team of health experts to look further into the new case in order to prepare for any urgent response, the statement added.
“For this new case of measles, we have immediately launched an inspection and will take all necessary measures, including vaccination, to stop the transmission of the virus,” Health Minister Mam Bunheng said.