CHINA : Hong Kong (HKSAR) – The Centre for Health Protection (CHP) of the Department of Health is today (February 2) investigating a case of severe paediatric influenza A infection affecting a 2-year-old boy.
The patient, with good past health, has presented with fever, cough, runny nose, vomiting and confusion since January 29. He was admitted to United Christian Hospital (UCH) on January 30 and was subsequently transferred to the Paediatric Intensive Care Unit for further management. The clinical diagnosis is encephalopathy.
He is currently in a stable condition.
His nasopharyngeal aspirate tested positive for influenza A upon laboratory testing by UCH.
Initial enquiries by CHP revealed that the patient had no travel history during the incubation period. His home contacts remained asymptomatic.
Investigation is ongoing.
The public should maintain good personal and environmental hygiene against influenza and other respiratory illnesses:
* Receive seasonal influenza vaccination for personal protection;
* Wash hands with liquid soap and water properly whenever possibly contaminated;
* When hands are not visibly soiled, clean them with 70 to 80 per cent alcohol-based handrub;
* Cover the nose and mouth when sneezing or coughing, and wash hands thoroughly afterwards;
* Dispose of soiled tissue paper properly in a lidded rubbish bin;
* Put on a surgical mask when respiratory symptoms develop;
* Maintain good indoor ventilation;
* When influenza is prevalent, avoid going to crowded or poorly ventilated public places; high-risk individuals may consider putting on surgical masks when staying in such places; and
* Maintain a balanced diet, exercise regularly, take adequate rest, do not smoke and avoid overstress.